Charges relate to robbery of cashier and customer, plus firearm
Three of the four men charged with the armed robbery at the Grand Harbour Blackbeard’s Liquor Store in December pleaded not guilty on Friday and had their trial date set for Aug. 3, 2015.
Three counts were put to defendants Andrew Lopez, 21; Bron Webb, 21; and Randy Connor, 24.
Details of the first count are that the men stole cash amounting to CI$4,604.42 and US$582 from the cashier on Dec. 17 and at the time of doing so, and in order to do so, put the cashier in fear of being subjected to force.
The second count alleges that the three men stole a purse with personal items from a customer in the store.
The third count is possession of a firearm not in accordance with the terms and conditions of the firearms users restricted license.
At the request of attorney John Furniss, Justice Charles Quin set Friday, March 13, as a mention date for the fourth defendant, 24-year-old Devon Emanuel Wright. Wright was present in court but remained seated when the others stood to enter their pleas.
After the arraignments, attorney Fiona Robertson that she was waiting to make a bail application on behalf of Webb, while Mr. Furniss was in a similar position with Connor. There is another matter for which the two men have not been charged, but it clearly affected their bail for this matter, she said.
Ms. Robertson told the court she had been advised that DNA results were awaited before files could be submitted, but she had since found out that the DNA had not even been submitted by police for analysis until two months after an alleged incident.
She said she could only repeat what she had said previously – that the police must act more quickly. She called the delay unacceptable and urged officers to act with diligence in pursuing the matter.
Mr. Furniss agreed that the attorneys’ hands were tied regarding making any application on their clients’ behalf.
Attorney Allan Forget confirmed that a bail application was set for Lopez this week.