Defendant in shooting case to be tried in Grand Court

A 34-year-old man charged in connection with a shooting in George Town late last month was remanded in custody after appearing in Summary Court on Thursday.

Randy James Parchment elected to be tried in Grand Court on charges relating to the shooting incident at McField Square in the early hours of March 28.

Parchment is charged with possession of an unlicensed handgun and the unlawful and malicious wounding of one named female.

The matter was adjourned from Tuesday and Wednesday because defense attorney Prathna Bodden had intended to apply for bail. On Thursday, however, she informed Magistrate Kirsty-Ann Gunn that she had not received all the papers in the case and so would not apply at that time.

On Tuesday, Ms. Bodden had noted that the charges against her client were Category B, as distinct from Category A, which would have had to be transmitted immediately to the Grand Court.

After Parchment made his election, Ms. Bodden said the required preliminary inquiry would probably be long form, meaning that a magistrate will have to hear the evidence to determine whether it is sufficient to send the matter to the higher court.

Crown counsel Kenneth Ferguson asked for three weeks to prepare the papers for the case. The magistrate then set April 30 for the preliminary inquiry.

Parchment, a resident of George Town, was remanded in custody until then.

News releases issued by police indicated that the incident occurred around 4 a.m. when two masked men approached and fired shots into a crowd of people. Three Caymanian women were wounded, one in the chest and abdomen, and one in the arm. The injury to the third woman was not specified, but she was released from hospital later the same day.

A later news release said three men had been arrested in connection with the incident. Parchment was charged and brought to court. Two other men were released on police bail while investigations continued.