Liquor thief pleads guilty to assault, wounding

Defendant had been banned from all liquor-licensed premises

Wayne Jeffrey Dilbert, under a Grand Court order not to enter liquor-licensed premises, pleaded guilty in Summary Court last week to thefts from Cayman Cabana Restaurant and Bar and Cayman Distributors Liquor Outlet. 

Dilbert was given a suspended sentence in June for wounding and common assault, offenses that occurred in March 2013. Justice Charles Quin took into account his lack of previous convictions for violence and statements from his victims – friends who did not want to see him go to prison. 

The judge handed down the suspended sentence with conditions that included paying $50 a week for compensation, strict adherence to medication ordered by Dilbert’s psychiatrist, random drug and alcohol testing, participation in an outpatient program and a ban from all liquor-licensed premises. 

In the early hours of Aug. 28, a police officer on patrol spotted Dilbert at the intersection of Mary and North Church streets with what appeared to be bottles in both hands. The officer attempted to speak to him, but he ran away. As he ran, more bottles fell out from underneath his clothes. Police gave chase and eventually apprehended him on Eastern Avenue. 

Dilbert was initially charged with entering Cayman Cabana as a trespasser and stealing a bottle of champagne, two cases of beer and 15 bottles of craft beer, with a total value of $175. On Wednesday he pleaded not guilty to burglary, but guilty to theft. Crown counsel Eleanor Fargin said the plea was acceptable. 

He also pleaded guilty to theft of a bottle of Hennessy Cognac from Cayman Distributors Liquor Outlet on Eastern Avenue on Aug. 18. The value of the stolen item was $57.99. 

In addition to the recent offenses, Dilbert pleaded guilty to two charges arising from incidents in 2013 and 2014. 

He admitted assault causing actual bodily harm to a woman in Bodden Town on May 5, 2013 and wounding a man in West Bay on Sept. 16, 2014. Full details were not given, but Dilbert was said to have run over the man with his truck, breaking his foot, and breaking his jaw by punching him. 

Defense attorney Alice Carver submitted a basis of plea. She accepted that the thefts of liquor were in breach of the defendant’s Grand Court sentence. 

Magistrate Angelyn Hernandez set the matters for sentencing on Nov. 25. Dilbert was remanded in custody until then. 

If you value our service, if you have turned to us in the past few days or weeks for verified, factual updates, if you have watched our live streaming of press conferences or sent an article to a friend... please consider a donation. Quality local journalism was at risk before the coronavirus crisis. It is now deeply threatened. Even a small amount can go a long way to sustaining our mission of informing the public. We need our readers’ financial support now more than ever.