One new COVID-19 case reported

Number recovered reaches 50

Chief Medical Officer Dr. John Lee.

Cayman’s COVID-19 cases have increased by one, according to statistics released by Chief Medical Officer Dr. John Lee Tuesday afternoon.

The latest positive result takes Cayman’s confirmed cases to 85, with the total recovered increasing to 50.

Lee, in a brief statement, reported that 377 COVID-19 tests have been completed over the last 24 hours.

“Of these 377, one person tested positive for COVID-19 and is a known contact of a previously reported positive case; this person is already isolated,” he said in the statement.

Including the newest numbers, Cayman has tested 4,564 people for COVID-19.

The customary COVID-19 press briefing was not held on Tuesday which is when the results are usually made public.

Premier Alden McLaughlin said on Monday that the briefings will now move to three days per week – Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

On Monday, three positive cases were reported by Medical Officer of Health Dr. Samuel Williams-Rodriguez, who said 761 negative results were received after a weekend of heavy testing.

Kirk Market announced Friday night that three of its workers had tested positive for the virus.

Williams-Rodriguez said a total of 121 of the local supermarket’s staff members had been tested, and a “very low percentage of these cases tested positive”.

The store underwent a deep cleaning over the weekend and reopened on Monday.

Williams-Rodriquez said those shopping at the supermarket had nothing to fear, especially if they followed guidelines on social distancing and hand washing.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now