UK Police officers leave

Fourteen veteran police officers
seconded to Cayman last month to help the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service
with criminal investigations returned to the United Kingdom Friday morning.

Commissioner of Police David Baines
had requested the officers come to Cayman to help handle the heavy workload
facing the RCIPS following five murders and several other serious crimes in
recent months.

“For the past four weeks, they have
worked alongside our own staff on current, and historic, enquiries,” said Mr.
Baines.

“The partnership, at a time when we
were experiencing an unprecedented spike in gun-related violence, led to a
number of significant arrests and charges.”

The RCIPS footed the bill for the
month-long secondment of the officers. Mr. Baines, when he announced their
arrival in April, said the presence of the British officers meant the local
officers could “get a breather”.

Five people have been killed in gun
violence since January this year – four-year-old Jeremiah Barnes, Alrick
Peddie, aged 25, Countney Spence, aged 32, Damion Ming and Marcos Duran, both
aged 25.

Charges have been brought in four
of the murder cases, but no-one has been arrested or charged in connection with
Spence’s killing. Most of the arrests were made prior to arrival of the 14 UK
investigators in Cayman.

Mr. Baines has said that the police
service plans to bring in senior investigators from outside the Cayman Islands
to permanently staff the police force.

“I would like to thank both the UK
officers and my own staff for their efforts over the past weeks. The feedback
I’ve had suggests that both the UK and RCIPS officers benefited from the
experience and it is my intention to continue dialogue with my counterparts in
the UK to examine the possibility of future collaboration,” Mr. Baines said
Friday.

0
0

NO COMMENTS