Teen is third suspect in beach robbery

A 17-year-old man was charged Monday and is expected to appear in court in connection with a robbery on Bare Foot Beach on Grand Cayman’s East End.

The robbery occurred around noon on 7 February. Royal Cayman Islands Police said a couple visiting from the US were confronted by three men on the beach. All three had their faces covered by T-shirts and two were armed; one with a baseball bat and another with a knuckleduster (brass knuckles).

Police said one of the men grabbed the male tourist, placed him in a headlock and demanded cash. The victims then handed over a wallet containing a small sum of money.

As the suspects left the scene, police said they smashed the window of the couple’s rental car with the baseball bat and stole a camera.

The 17-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident on Saturday, 12 March. He was arrested in the Eastern Districts and has now been charged with robbery. His name was not immediately made public.

Two men have already been charged and appeared in court earlier this month in relation to the incident.

The suspects; Trent Zachary Bodden, 20, and Michael Travis McLaughlin, 18, were denied bail by Summary Court Magistrate Nova Hall. Their case was transmitted to the Grand Court.

Crown Counsel Laura Manson objected to bail because of the seriousness of the offence. She said the 7 February robbery appeared to be preplanned and “tourism targeted”.

Defence attorney Lucy Organ, who appeared on behalf of Trent Bodden, said the Crown’s case was weak and that there was no identification evidence against her client.

Mr. McLaughlin was not represented at the court appearance.

0
0

1 COMMENT

Comments are closed.