Old Boys find zest for upset

It was drama all the way at the TE McField Annex this week in the Heineken Sunday Football League as Old Boys picked up their first points of the season by pulling off a stunning victory against high flying Latitude 19 Boca Juniors.

Old Boys went into the match with an appalling record, registering six defeats from their opening six fixtures, in the process conceding 28 goals and scoring only four.

To say Boca were favourites to pick up all three points would be an underestimate as they had only be beaten once all season – last week against CML – so it was a huge upset that Old Boys came away with a morale boosting 2-1 victory. The opening goal arrived for Old Boys from the unlikely source of Martin Pilat after 16 minutes.

Trenvick Coleman of Boca restored parity ten minutes latter, but crucially on the stroke of half-time Old Boys shocked Boca by going ahead again through Tommy Gribbin. Then for the whole of the second half the Old Boys’ defenders were solid against a below par Boca side to collect three precious points.

The wind was blowing strongly down the Ed Bush pitch in West Bay making the game between Triple Crown Wanderers and Maples Revolution erratic.

With the Wanderers enjoying the advantage of the wind at their backs in the first-half they had the better start.

Their first arrived on 18 minutes via the head of midfielder Kevin O’Brien and their top scorer,

Lee Parry, then hit is fifth goal of the season. With Maples now enjoying the advantage of the wind in the second-half they pinned the Wanderers back without reward.

Wanderers Richie Addison’s in-swinging corner was wind assisted and with goalkeeper Juschtzak being crowded out the ball sailed under the crossbar directly into the goal to make it 2-1.

Maples fell to their third defeat of the season.

CML Claymores were riding high after a confidence boosting victory against Boca Juniors last weekend but faced another challenging game against Harry’s at the TE McField Annex.

CML again had Kirk Rowe to thank for a 1-0 half-time advantage when he broke the deadlock five minutes before the break.

With ten minutes remaining CML were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Kevin Gillette scored.

With the clock ticking down Harry’s then set up camp on the edge of CML’s box and managed to pull a goal back six minutes from time through Chris Fenn.

CML then had a golden opportunity to kill off the game but supreme poacher Alan Johnson missed from close range. Then with just four minutes left Harry’s punished this flagrancy as Dan Stubber fired a half volley home to finish the game at 2-2.

The final game of the weekend was between league leaders Agua and bottom of the table Shellaz at Ed Bush. Shellaz turned in perhaps their best performance so far but couldn’t find the net.

With the wind behind them in the first half they enjoyed more of the possession but against the run of play fell behind to a break-away goal after 30 minutes. Agua’s Luciano Deriso picked up the ball and ran at their defence to fire home.

Dan Cummings celebrated his birthday by scoring Agua’s second in the second half. Agua keep a thre point lead at the top of the table but with Old Boys picking up their first points of the season it means Shellaz are rooted firmly to bottom spot.

The race for the Golden Boot Trophy is just as tight as the league table with Dan Cummings’ taking his tally to six, with Lee Parry of the Wanderers and Henry Mitchell of Boca on five.

Comments are closed.