Jewelry store robber pleads guilty

A second man involved in the New Year’s Day robbery of Diamonds International pleaded guilty in Grand Court on Thursday.

James Herbert McLean entered guilty pleas on one count of robbery and one count of possession of an unlicensed fire arm in the North Church Street robbery that involved the theft of jewelry valued at US$814,750.

Jonathan Mark Ramoon pleaded guilty to the charges in June.

McLean’s attorney Nicholas Hoffman told Justice Charles Quin that “this was a joint enterprise robbery.”

“He enters the plea on the basis that he didn’t know that the firearm was loaded,” Mr. Hoffman said.

The third defendant, Christopher Myles, will return to court on Sept. 15 to enter a plea.

Myles’s defense attorney John Furniss said he had been awaiting the results of DNA evidence after an “element was never quantified.”

McLean and Ramoon, represented by attorney Irvin Ebanks, are set to appear before the court on Aug. 7.

Ramoon appeared in the Grand Court on crutches. He was injured when struck by a vehicle driven by Police Commissioner David Baines moments after the robbery. The men have remained in custody since Jan. 1.

Comments are closed.